Re: New Status Code -- 2xx Greedy Hotel?

Well, from the existing codes 409 sounds best to me.

"The response body SHOULD include enough information for the user to
recognize the source of the conflict. Ideally, the response entity
would include enough information for the user or user agent to fix
the problem;"

Cheers, Stefan

Am 15.03.2007 um 15:53 schrieb Mark Nottingham:

> Hmm, 3xx doesn't seem right; there might be temporary redirects
> along the way (indeed, most of these sorts of things already use
> them); it's the status code of the place where you end up that's
> interesting.
>
> 5xx implies server-side error, so that's not appropriate (unless
> you consider their requirement for money an error!)
>
> 402 is reserved, and I think the original intent was making a
> payment to the origin server, not to the folks who give you the
> network to get there...
>

> On 15/03/2007, at 2:47 PM, Mark Baker wrote:
>
>> Sounds more like a 3xx, perhaps even 303?
>>
>> The hard part is getting these proxies to support it, of course.
>>
>> Mark.
>>
>> On 3/15/07, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> After being in hotels for a few weeks, I'm starting to wonder
>>> whether
>>> a new 2xx HTTP status code could be defined whose semantic is "This
>>> isn't what you asked for, but here's some information about how to
>>> get network access so you can eventually get it."
>>>
>>> 2xx so that browsers will display it. AFAICT, they do; or at least,
>>> Safari and Firefox do (see <http://www.mnot.net/test/222.asis>). IE?
>>> 4xx might be more appropriate, but I despair of "friendly" error
>>> messages. (thought they could be padded, I suppose).
>>>
>>> A new status code so that feed aggregators, automated clients, etc.
>>> can differentiate what they asked for from your hotel / conference
>>> centre / etc. asking for cash in order to get network access, and
>>> not
>>> get horribly messed up as a result.
>>>
>>> It would also be useful in those cases where you get redirected
>>> somewhere to login and get a cookie for authentication; e.g.,
>>> Yahoo!,
>>> Google, Amazon, etc. Same situation, but slightly different use
>>> case.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mark Nottingham     http://www.mnot.net/