Re: Redirection of a POST as a GET

tor 2007-03-08 klockan 10:06 +0100 skrev Julian Reschke:

> 1) WebDAV servers are known to use 302 on methods such as PROPFIND (for
> instance, Apache/moddav for PROPFIND on a collection URL with trailing
> slash missing), and expect clients to proceed with PROPFIND, not GET.

Yes. The industry standard deviation from the specifications is limited
to POST I think.

> The confusion seems to be caused by 302 being used for two separate
> things (moving a resource, and pointing to a retrievable result of a
> POST). Both deserve separate status codes, and have got them as 303 and
> 307 since January 1997 (307) or even longer (303).
>
> It seems to me that the right thing to do here is to clearly deprecate
> 302 (describing both what it was supposed to do, and what it does in
> practice), and lobbying for proper use of 303 and 307 instead.

Agreed.

Additionally we could accept the industry defacto standard, and adjust
301/302 to allow GET to be used automatically without user confirmation
if the request was a POST request making the current industry use
compliant.

Regards
Henrik