Re: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-decroy-http-progress-00.txt]

tis 2007-02-13 klockan 12:49 +1300 skrev Adrien de Croy:

> That wasn't my intention.  100 continue in practice can be hop by hop,
> as a proxy can send it back to a client (or is this prohibited?).

My understanding:

RFC2616 does not intend for proxies to send 100 Continue on their own,
only forwarding of server generated 100 Continue.

Proxies generating 100 Continue on their own messes up the HTTP version
cache of the client and may falsely fool the client into thinking that
the server has accepted the request and is ready to receive the
response.

100 Continue and it's related delay in sending the request body has two
purposes

a) Avoiding wasting bandwidth on large request bodies which will be
ignored by the server anyway, allowing the client to abort the request
early withoutsending the body (by closing the connection or terminating
chunked encoding).

b) To a client receiving 100 Continue this is supposed to mean the
request as such has been accepted by the origin server and it's now
ready to process the body.

Regards
Henrik