Re: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-decroy-http-progress-00.txt]

PS

I think the issue of NTLM and proxy auth has been a bit of a side-track.

if you consider the issue of

client -> proxy (no auth) -> server (basic auth)

then the problem can still be clearly shown.

1. Client wants to post to server.
2. client connects to proxy, sends initial request, but not body
3. client waits for 100 continue.
4. proxy evaluates request, DNS and policy lookups etc. some time elapses.
5. Proxy Initiates connection to sever.. some more time elapses.
6. Client stops waiting for 100 continue and starts sending body
7. proxy achieves connection, server sends 401 auth required
8. proxy passes back 401 auth required
9. client has to terminate connection and start again.

At least with basic auth, the credentials can be submitted the second time.

If the intermediary is an intercepting proxy however, and requires auth
(even basic)
then breaking the connection will lose the auth either to the server or
proxy,
since there can't be 2 sets of Authorization tags, and so this situation
prevents
operation completely unless the client sends chunked data as you've
suggested.

I am thinking more about your point about using TCP flow control.  We
are able to
send a 0 window size, but that won't guarantee that the client won't
enter into the
state where it thinks it is sending the body (and would therefore
terminate on
any 4xx response).

regards

Adrien