Re: Link Header draft

On 2007/01/29, at 2:24 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Mark Nottingham schrieb:
>> Do people have any thoughts? Is the -00 draft good enough?
>
> 1) I would recommend not to remove or add things based on what
> HTML5 may say right now. This is a moving target.

Agreed.

> 2) Not sure whether there is a problem with "anchor". Maybe it
> would benefit from an example, though.
>
> 3) "media" sounds like an interesting use case -- if we have more
> than one UA implementing this, it may be worth documenting.
>
> Another than that, draft 00 also defines "Profile" and "Link-
> Template". Maybe it would make sense to split those into a separate
> document, to clearly distinguish between what's-been-there-all-the-
> time and new stuff?

My biggest concern at this point is navigating through the process
(considering that this is effectively replacing/re-specifying
something in the "old stuff" Appendix of a Standards-Track RFC). If
splitting helps do that, yes.

On a different note -

The use cases I've heard of so far are with things like OpenID,
GRDDL, etc.; there may also be use cases with Atom. I do have some
concern about collisions between link relations identifiers in
different formats (because <link> in Atom and HTML, for example, are
slightly different things).

While Profile acts as a name space for the link relations, I'm not
certain it'll be respected. Other approaches that come to mind include;

1) Specifying that the name space of the link relations is media type-
specific, and have a registry for each.

2) Specifying a whole new header *instead* of Link that allows a URI
for the link relation; establish a registry that the relation URI is
relative to, independent of media type (still allowing them to use
absolute URIs if they like).

#1 seems workable, but it does require people to register their
relations.

#2 feels OK, *except* that somebody using an Atom link relation, for
example, would have to do something like
    New-Link: <http://example.org/>; rel="atom/self"
rather than
    Link: <http://example.org/>; rel="self"
even though in both cases their content would contain
   <atom:link href="http://example.org/" rel="self"/>

Overall, I'd like to reuse Link if at all possible, to avoid the
possibility of a fork. Thoughts?