NEW ISSUE: http URLvs Request-URI, was: 3.2.2 issue

Mark Baker schrieb:

> On 1/22/07, Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net> wrote:
>> sön 2007-01-21 klockan 20:35 -0500 skrev Mark Baker:
>> > This was posted to rest-discuss earlier this month, and suggests an
>> > issue with 3.2.2.
>>
>> I don't quite get the issue. It says that the resource on the server
>> that acts on the request is identified by the abs_path, but so what?
>
> It's wrong.  The resource is identified by the whole URI (or abs_path
> + query in this context).
 >
>> It
>> also defines that there may be a query to that resource as part of the
>> URL. The meaning of the query is defined in RFC2396 which also has the
>> same definition of resource.
>>
>> But the sentence is quite irrelevant as the specs do not really define
>> how servers implement or define the resources, and the resource which
>> acts on the request is also quite irrelevant to the specs..
>
> Agreed, but I think we should fix the error mentioned above either by
> removing all mention of the identified resource, or by saying it's
> identified by abs_path + query.  I suppose I'd prefer the former (for
> the reasoning you give), but the latter is a less disruptive fix.
> *shrug*

I agree that this needs to be fixed (re-open issue 11, MNot?).

3.2.2 really doesn't say what identifies the resource:

"If the port is empty or not given, port 80 is assumed. The semantics
are that the identified resource is located at the server listening for
TCP connections on that port of that host, and the Request-URI for the
resource is abs_path (Section 5.1.2)."

But it *does* say what part of the HTTP URL becomes the Request-URI, and
that definitively needs to be fixed.

Here's a proposed replacement text:

"The semantics are that the identified resource is located at the server
listening for TCP connections on that port of that host, and the
Request-URI for the resource is abs_path plus the optional query
parameter (Section 5.1.2)."

Best regards, Julian