3.2.2 issue

This was posted to rest-discuss earlier this month, and suggests an
issue with 3.2.2.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Jan 3, 2007 7:52 PM
Subject: Re: [rest-discuss] Re: Request for feedback: REST for the Rest of Us
To: "Steve G. Bjorg" <steveb@mindtouch.com>
Cc: rest-discuss@yahoogroups.com

On Jan 3, 2007, at 4:22 PM, Steve G. Bjorg wrote:
> Bill de hOra wrote:
> > Bill, the same resource is the accessed in both cases as the
> resource
> > identifier is the same - namely the pieces up to the query string
> (see
> > para two in 3.2.2 of the HTTP spec).
>
> Wonderful! All is good then.

That was the case back in 1994, when I wrote it.  It has not been true
for a long time since.  It is one of those things that became untrue
once people realized that the interface had no reason to respect such
a distinction (and rightly so -- it introduces coupling where none is
needed) and so the distinction was removed server-side to reflect the
migration of resources to new implementations.

The resource in HTTP is the mapping from the entire identifier
(including scheme, authority, path, and query) to a set of values.
For two resources to be the same, they must map to the same set
of values for all time.  There is no way to determine that by
inspecting the identifiers, aside from scheme-defined equivalence.

....Roy

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional