RE: NEW ISSUE: Use of "Client" in 14.4

-----Original Message-----
From: William A. Rowe, Jr. [mailto:wrowe@rowe-clan.net]
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 1:11 PM
To: Paul Leach
Cc: Travis Snoozy (Volt); ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: NEW ISSUE: Use of "Client" in 14.4

[Paul Leach] Travis said:
> A strict interpretation of this would mean that other non-user-agent
> clients (e.g., proxies) "MUST NOT" give an Accept-Language header in
> their requests, because they can not (easily) give users a "choice of
> linguistic preference". That could lead to all sorts of silliness
(e.g.,
> proxies stripping Accept-Language before forwarding) that very likely
> isn't intended.
[Paul Leach] A proxy is "configured" for the Accept-Language headers of
the requests it makes by the requests it receives.

[Paul Leach] Back to what William said:
I'd suggest we please leave the existing text alone and leave it to the
implementor to determine if and how Accept-Language should be presented.
[Paul Leach] I suggest they follow the intention of the spec, which is
clear enough.