Re: migration to ABNF, was: i31 (qdtext BNF) resolved

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Speaking of which, qdtext is now defined as:
>>
>>        qdtext         = <any TEXT excluding <"> and "\">
>
> I would really appreciate if we can get rid of such prose rules and
> instead provide a machine-readable grammar, noting such prose in a
> comment if really necessary.

Yes, that's the ultimate goal.

However, I think we should be very careful while updating the ABNF.
Therefore it would be good if we can get it into a state where an RFC822
parser can process it first (that will allow us to parse and normalize
the grammar, enabling proper change tracking).

>> That production will (IMHO) be rejected by both RFC822-style and
>> RFC4234-style ABNF parsers (since the the first > character ends the
>> prose val).
>
> That would also solve problems of this nature.

Understood.

Best regards, Julian