Re: Why the use of Date is restricted in requests

lör 2007-06-09 klockan 21:23 +0300 skrev Stefanos Harhalakis:

>   I've sent some RFCs to a couple mailing lists and this is one of the replies
> I got. Do you happen to know why the client-side Date header is discouraged
> on non-PUT/GET requests? Is it for privacy issues?

I think it has more to do with Date often being considered an entity
header rather than just a general message header.

This restriction go all the way back to the first IETF draft of RFC1945
(HTTP/1.0) btw, but not in the draft I could find before that..

First draft I could find where the text is present

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-http-v10-spec-00  March 8, 1995

And last draft I could find where the text is NOT present

http://ftp.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/history/draft-fielding-http-spec-01.txt December 19, 1994

A quick scan of the mailinglist archives for the period didn't come up
with any obvious discussion regarding this.

Regards
Henrik