Re: Timezone information in HTTP

On Friday 08 June 2007, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Stefanos Harhalakis wrote:
> >  Following a suggestion from Julian Reschke I'm sending the attached
> > proposed I-D here for discussion. I'd like to know whether you believe
> > that this is usefull.
>
> Could you elaborate on why you think a new HTTP request header would
> best address this problem? For example, why would this be better than
> improved client-side support for time information rendering?

  You mean something like an HTML tag that would instruct browsers to display
their local time? If so, then I believe that this is practically impossible
since time is tied to date. For example there can be Friday on one place and
Saturday on another. Since the date (and time) string cannot be rendered by
the browser (localization, format etc), the proposal would help. Also, there
are cases where the time/date information is embedded as a graphic in an
image that is dynamically created. Think of all network monitoring graphs
like mrtg. Finally, time is not only a matter of displaying it to web
clients. For example, think of a web based fax sending application which
would need to include the sender time in the sending pages.

  I hope that this answers your question...