De: "chown" <elfius@gmail.com>
A: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Sent: vendredi 25 mai 2007 06 h 36 (GMT+0100) Europe/Berlin
Sujet: HTTP 'HASH' Method

I think a 'HASH' method should be implemented into HTTP, whereby the server responds with a hash (md5/sha) of the requested resource. This would be a godsend for large networks which tend to use caching extensively, because caching-proxy servers could verify the source hasn't changed while creating a minimal amount of traffic, thereby allow the amount of time the proxy stores cache to be be greatly increased only at the cost of hard drive space.
Not only would this benefit caching applications, but as I'm sure you could imagine, it could be used in may other fields, especially security.