Re: NEW ISSUE: example for matching functions, was: Weak and strong ETags

mån 2007-05-28 klockan 21:40 +0200 skrev Julian Reschke:
> Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> > mån 2007-05-28 klockan 13:36 +0200 skrev Julian Reschke:
> >
> >> (a) Do we have agreement that this example is correct?
> >
> > Yes, imho it is what the RFC says. But see below.
> >
> >> (b) Is there consensus to have it included?
> >
> > Not sure, might loose the context somewhat as it's not only about ETag
> > but also Last-Modified which also has strong/weak properties.
>
> Another example?

A bit hard to make an intelligible weak/strong compare example for
Last-Modified in such table. you'll need full Last-Modified + Date
headers, and a bit of explanation to make people actually see whats
imporant about the difference between them..

> > The language wrt the weak compare function isn't really very complex.
> >
> >       - The weak comparison function: in order to be considered equal,
> >         both validators MUST be identical in every way, but either or
> >         both of them MAY be tagged as "weak" without affecting the
> >         result.
> >
> > But there is the small questionmark on if this is what was intended for
> > ETag, or if the optional weakness in the context was only intended for
> > weak Last-Modified values.. (less than 1 minute before Date).
>
> Ah, and that's probably why people are surprised.

Could be, but I have my doubts.. More likely they assume what the weak
comparison function means without actually reading 13.3.3 at all.

Regards
Henrik