RE: Chained proxies, persistent connections, authentication

On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 20:10, Rob Maidment wrote:
> Thankyou for all the contributions on this thread.
>
> I over-simplified the proxy1 (Squid) role in the scenario slightly for the
> sake of clarity, so I'll explain exactly what is going on:  Squid is
> authenticating the users, using the Basic authentication scheme I assume.

That depends on your squid version and config. If you are running 2.5,
it could be any of basic, rfc2617 digest, or NTLM.

> The problem occurs because proxy1 re-uses persistent connections to proxy2
> for users in different groups, and proxy2 only authenticates the first
> request on each connection.  So subsequent requests may have the wrong
> security policy applied.

That sounds like a real bug in proxy2. Duanes suggestion of disabling
server persistent connections is an effective workaround. proxy2
however, should be fixed. The MS NTLM/Kerberos/Negotiate connection
based authentication do connection based auth, but AFAIK MS's basic
implementation does check per request. I don't think you've specified
which software proxy2 was, I assumed it was an MS proxy due to the use
of connection orientated semantics....

> Thanks to your responses, I now realise proxy2 is at fault since it is
> individual requests that should be authenticated, not connections.  I've
> also learnt there may be a workaround by disabling server-side persistent
> connections in Squid.
>
> As a matter of interest, if the roles were reversed would Squid authenticate
> every request, or only the first request on each connection?

Every request for basic and digest authentication. Once per connection
for NTLM authentication.

Rob