Re: IBM patents tunneling HTTP through another protocal

In a message dated 6/5/98 11:53:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
frank@rintintin.gv-itf.unisource.nl writes:

> SSH surely does compress the stream, if you ask it to do so. It is also
>  possible to use compression with no encryption, which does enhance
> performance
>  in some cases (slow lines, fast systems).
>
>  I think one of the key issues here is whether there is prior work which
>  translates HTTP on one end of the stream into something else (thereby
> removing the HTTP protocol overhead), and recreates the HTTP request at the
other end.

>  SSH does not touch the protocol, it only transports the data stream (
> compressed and/or encrypted).

The VLAN Router in certain remote bridging applications has for years
stripped off MAC headers, sent the data and recreated the MAC
headers on the remote side.  Telnet <-->VTAM and Telnet<-->PAD
translation has been common for a decade.

Joachim Martillo