Re: Comments on Byte range draft

On Mon, 13 Nov 1995, Lou Montulli wrote:

> Simon Spero wrote:
>
> We don't need a hack here.  Using a 205 response to signify a
> partial document is being returned seems far better than
> the "no-cache" nonsense.  The 205 response is also necessary
> for the client to tell the difference between a full document
> and a partial document response.

Lou- the 205 response is not part of http/1.0 as described, and this can
lead to some caching confusion; if a 1.1 client is talking through a 1.0
proxy to a 1.1 client, and a partial fetch is done, it's possible to the
1.0 proxy to keep a copy of the partial contents, yet not be aware that
the contents are bogus- the next client to do a fetch could end up with
partial data, yet not be aware of it.

Simon