Re: tidy turns > into > and pretends nothing happened

K> Dan Jacobson wrote:
>>
>> Tidy turns > into &gt; and pretends nothing happened.
>> Sure, it is usually what we want, but I just don't think it is right
>> for tidy to use the same 'no errors found' message for a file that is
>> completely unchanged when run thru tidy, v.s. one that gets changed.

K> Tidy does warn about changes it makes to the document structure, e.g.
K> adding missing tags.
K> Since > and &gt; are equivalent no warning message is issued.

>> At least tell us "I changed something, not too important, use diff if
>> you absolutely must see it."

K> The output may be different even when the structure of the document is
K> unchanged, and no entities have been converted -- in essence, tidy
K> parses the document, builds an internal tree representation of the
K> document and serializes the internal tree as HTML.  There is no single
K> "canonical" form for an HTML document, so even when no errors or
K> warnings are reported you should always expect the output to look
K> different from the input.

Tidy not telling me that it changed > into &gt; means that I have no
way of telling if I have written good HTML or not.  It is very
important to me to know if I am careless enough to put raw >'s into a
file... I thought that I am skilled enough in HTML to make my own
&gt;'s .  If a > gets through then it was probably a typo and I want
to know about it right away, instead of it getting swept under the
carpet to sit embarrassingly on my web page for months.

So, neatening the blanks, wrapping, etc. is fine and I don't need to
be told about that.  However, let's say the postman is so nice that he
corrects addressing mistakes and adds extra stamps needed for my
letters, but is too courteous to tell me.  I want to be told!  Add an
option!
--
http://www.geocities.com/jidanni/ Taiwan(04)25854780