Re: tidy turns > into > and pretends nothing happened

On 22 Feb 2002, Dan Jacobson wrote:

> Tidy not telling me that it changed > into > means that I have no
> way of telling if I have written good HTML or not.  It is very
> important to me to know if I am careless enough to put raw >'s into a
> file... I thought that I am skilled enough in HTML to make my own
> >'s .  If a > gets through then it was probably a typo and I want
> to know about it right away, instead of it getting swept under the
> carpet to sit embarrassingly on my web page for months.
>
> So, neatening the blanks, wrapping, etc. is fine and I don't need to
> be told about that.  However, let's say the postman is so nice that he
> corrects addressing mistakes and adds extra stamps needed for my
> letters, but is too courteous to tell me.  I want to be told!  Add an
> option!

There is another reason for a tidy comment to be helpfull here: Often
the string <br or p> were meant to be html tags but a typo occured. A
similar thing can be said for entities where &amp is transformed to
&amp;amp ... Here, a tidy comment could be usefull. For me I would like
to have an option which I can switch on that tells me when tidy
parses entities in one coding but prints them out in a second coding.

--
Cheers alex          Alexander Biron

Support the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide: http://www.dhmo.org/

  /"\  ASCII ribbon campaign
  \ /  ---------------------   	http://www-zeuthen.desy.de/~biron/
   X     against HTML mail  	Tel (+49)33762-7-7516
  / \      and postings     	mailto:alexander.biron@desy.de