Re: [Fwd: My future of HTML position paper]

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Dave Raggett wrote:

> On Wed, 13 May 1998, Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor wrote:
> > Is there something wrong with sticking with the OBJECT element for
> > including data such as vector graphics and MathML?  (SMIL sounds
> > like a more involved issue. I don't know much about it at the
> > momment.)
>
> As was pointed out at the workshop it is frequently inconvenient
> to manage multiple files, as a result users would like to be able
> to embed the markup for math directly into the same file as the
> markup for the rest of the document structure. The same is likely
> to apply to simple graphics. It seems to make sense therefore to
> address composition of tag sets in a way that maximises the
> synergy between them.

Embedding SGML in SGML documents is a problem whose scope extends beyond
just HTML.  However IMHO there is now a solution to this problem since the
Web TC modification of SGML.  DTD-less documents can be created.
Architectures can map the HTML elements of the document to the HTML
Architectural form.  The MathML elements of the document can be mapped to
the MathML Architectural form.

Of course there are many details to be worked out, such as making
alternate text available.

I feel I should say that, although it seems inconvenient to work with
multiple files, in the end it generally saves time and effort.  Just as I
use a graphics programs to create a GIF file, I'd use a MathML editor to
create my MathML document and embed it the same way I embed an image in my
document.

    <URL:http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/%7Eroconnor/>
``And truth irreversibly destroys the meaning of its own message''
-- Anindita Dutta, ``The Paradox of Truth, the Truth of Entropy''