Issue 30: Action item 2001/06/20

From: Paul Cotton <pcotton@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 14:05:16 -0400
To: "W3C XML Protocol IG (E-mail)" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Action item 2001/06/20 asked me to clarify Issue 30 [1].  This issue
originated in my email [2] that outlined how SOAP 1.1 meet the XML
Protocol R4xxx Requirements:

"R403
----
Requirement: Data serialized according to the XML Protocol data
representation may contain references to data outside the serialization.
These references must be Uniform
Resource Identifiers (URIs).

Comment: The SOAP/1.1 encoding uses the "id" and "href" attributes to
name
and refer to resources or sub-parts of resources. The format of the href
attribute is of type "uri-reference" as defined by XML schema. The "id"
attribute is of type "ID" as defined by XML/1.0. There are no
restrictions
on the value of a URI used as value in a href attribute.

Judgement: SOAP/1.1 covers this requirement although it is not
explicitly
stated that URIs can in fact point to anything."

Issue 30 Clarification:
In my opinion, the only point that we want to clarify (and it is only a
clarification) is that a consequence of using URIs is that they can
point to anything and not only within the same document (of the style
#foo). Some implementers may be surprised that the value of the href
attribute could be something like "http://www.foo.com/some.doc" if we do
not point this out in a clarification. In addition we might want to
indicate that they can point to an attachment to the SOAP message [3].
In both of the latter cases we want to be sure to indicate that these
URI's point outside of the current SOAP message.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-issues#x30
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2001Feb/0045.html
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP-attachments

Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada