RE: Issue 30: Action item 2001/06/20

Seems like a new issue, and possibly a co-ordination group issue to me.  I
suggest something like:

Issue: SOAP treatment of XML Base.  What, if anything, should a SOAP
processor do with an XML Base declaration if it appears in a SOAP Message.
1) Do nothing
2) SOAP 1.2 processors must conform to XML Base
3) Undefined, treatment of XML Base in SOAP 1.2 is optional
4) Ask XML CG for a resolution
5) Wait until W3C decides on how to deal with the results of the XML
Processing Model workshop, potentially another WG may define an overall
processing model
6) Wait for the TAG to define.
7) Form XMLP/XML

I note that SOAP 1.1 Note was published May 8 2000, XML Base hit
Recommendation on June 27 2001, and on May 8 2000 XML Base was in WD
status.  SOAP 1.1 did fine without XML Base as XML Base wasn't even at CR
at the time.  But things have changed, and now XML Base is usable by
vocabularies such as SOAP.

I also observe that the Infoset supports an Base URI property.  Indeed, the
infoset spec says the Base URI "is computed according to [XML Base]"  An
Infoset based draft of SOAP that says nothing about XML Base seems like it
means either 1) XML Base is supported implicitly because the xml base
infoset property can be set by XML Base (option #2) or 2) the SOAP infoset
is not Infoset conformant because it is unclear whether XML Base decls can
set the base uri property.

My personal thought is that SOAP needs to say something about XML Base.  I
lean towards option #2, and I'm very interested in feedback on the overlap.

Cheers,
Dave