text-indent/last-line-end-indent and nested block-level FOs

From: Nilsson, Peter <pni@sorman.se>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:41:46 +0200
To: "'www-xsl-fo@w3.org'" <www-xsl-fo@w3.org>

I need a little clarification. The FO spec says that the text-indent
(last-line-end-indent) property(ies) specifies indentation to add to the
first (last) line of a fo:block. My question is what should happen when a
block-level fo is the first fo in a block (applies to the case with
last-line-end-indent as well, but let's ignore that for the rest of this
message.) For example, if I have something like:

<block text-indent="3cm">
  <block>I'm nested.</block>
  I am not nested.

Which line should get indented by 3cm according to the spec? It doesn't seem
logic that the nested block would be affected (it could be some other kind
of block-level FO). It also seems a little odd that the indent really falls
in the middle of the outermost block.

I am actually implementing DSSSL, but also want to try to follow the XSL-FO
spec for the future.

Any ideas? How do the other implementors treat this?

//Peter Nilsson

Peter Nilsson
System Developer
Sörman Information AB