Re: Web Services Architecture Requirements 23 April 2002

Hi Daniel and WG.

* Austin, Daniel <Austin.D@ic.grainger.com> [2002-04-23 15:29-0500]
> 	I've uploaded the most recent version of the requirements document
> to:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/arch/2/wd-wsawg-reqs-04232002.html
>
> 	This version incorporates many changes from our discussions both at
> the face to face meeting and on the telephone and in the mailing list. This
> version is intended for publication as a Working Draft upon approval of the
> W3C.

Thanks for your hard work. Here are my comments.

To make people's life easier, I have generated a diff version against
the previous version:

    http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/arch/2/wsawgreqs-diff-20020423.html

I make no guarantee about its accuracy though.

Some of my earlier comments still stand. Using my previous message:

* Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org> [2002-04-16 17:18-0400]
> I have finally got around to typing in an email the notes I took about
> the requirements document.
[..]
> 1.1 What is a Web Service?
>
>   | The group has jointly come to agreement on the following definition:
>
>   There was definitely no consensus on the definition. We should try
>   to carry the message that we agree to use this definition for now.

The document still makes it sound like there was consensus around the
definition.

What about:

  The Working Group agreed on using the following definition for now:

along with an editors' note saying that the definition will be
revisited in lights of the requirements found.

[..]
> D-AG0001 AC0012-A
>
>   There was some further discussion about that:
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Mar/0346.html

AC0012-A is still present under the name D-AC0001.2.1. As I said in
the email referenced above, and this suggestion was received
positively by Working Group members, I would like to drop
D-AC0001.2.1 and rephrase D-AC0001.2 into:

  Ensures that the development of identified technologies identifies
  conformance so that testing software can be constructed.

> D-AG0002 AC0022
>
>   This CSF doesn't seem to go in the direction of programming
>   model/language Independence.

This is still present, but I guess we will revisit that after
publication.

> D-AG0007 CSF SA2
>
>   I don't understand this CSF.

Same comment.

> D-AG0007 CSF PE1
>
>   Same comment.

Same comment.

> D-AG0009
>
>   I think that "and the overall existing web architecture" is covered
>   by D-AG0011.

Same comment.

[..]
> D-AG0010
>
>   In light of the above requirement ("normative mapping between all
>   XML technologies and RDF/XML"), I don't think that the "syntactic
>   schema language" paragraph is necessary. An RDF Schema could be a
>   valid description.

I was arguing for the removal of the second paragraph entirely, not
only the second sentence, but that can wait for after the publication
since I expect it to generate some discussion.

[..]
> D-AG0011 CF1-*
>
>   As I said during the F2F, I think those should be dropped as
>   explained in:
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Mar/0475.html

I guess that this will also require some discussion, so I'll hold it
for now.

> D-AG0012
>
>   I would: s/use cases/usage scenario and use cases/

This change wasn't made. Is that an omission or did the editors decide
against it?

> D-AG0016
>
>   This one was discussed during the 28 March teleconference[2] and
>   people were not comfortable with "identify architectural and
>   technology gaps that prevent interoperability".

This one is unchanged, even though I thought the Working Group clearly
had a problem with the current wording. Has this been postponed?

A new comment:

D-AC0014

  I think that it can be removed, and D-AC0013 can say: "(absorbs
  D-AC0014)". I don't see the point of leaving it around.

Regards,

Hugo

  2. http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/arch/2/03/28-minutes
--