Re: XHTML 1.1 as text/html

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 10:11:11 +0900
Cc: Sierk Bornemann <sierkb@gmx.de>, "www-validator@w3.org Community" <www-validator@w3.org>
To: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>

On Apr 26, 2007, at 00:16 , Shane McCarron wrote:
> Actually, I beg to differ.  Neither the previous Recommendation of
> XHTML 1.1 [1] nor the current Editors Draft of XHTML 1.1 [2] says
> you SHOULD NOT send XHTML 1.1 as text/html.  If you are referring
> to the informative note that was written by Masayasu [3] some years
> ago...  that's not normative.

You're right. To be absolutely accurate, [2] precisely says
XHTML 1.1 documents SHOULD be labeled with the Internet Media Type
and for further information refers to [3].

> [2] http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Drafts/xhtml11
> [3] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types

Are you begging to differ on the wording alone (on which I stand
corrected) or are you also suggesting that the validator should not
give a warning for not respecting the SHOULD recommendation in XHTML
1.1's conformance section? What is the XHTML's working group stance
on the matter?

Thank you