Re: [ANN] Beta test of the W3C Markup Validator (0.8.0 beta 1)

Sierk Bornemann wrote:

> How do you differ between a browser, which is XHTML-capable and
> one which is not?

A radical approach could be "don't", let the browser figure it out:
http://purl.net/xyzzy/src/xhtmlxml.cmd  (please ignore two typos)

It works like this:  a file whatever.html is sent to my browser
with Content-Type: application/xhtml+xml  My Wilbur browser has
no clue what it might be and looks into its "MIME helper" table.

It finds the script mentioned above, downloads the file, and tells
my script "do!".  The script renames the file to a common name,
that simplifies any cleanup to one temporary file.  After that it
starts a helper application "netscdde.exe", which in turn tells
my browser to display the temporary html file.  It's a local file
at this point, no http Content-Type, therefore my browser thinks
that it's good old HTML 3.2 and displays it (as far as possible,
if the file doesn't come with a <base> I can give up or patch it)

Frank