Re: [ANN] Beta test of the W3C Markup Validator (0.8.0 beta 1)

olivier Thereaux wrote:
> The other is the question of (conditionally) serving XHTML 1.1 as
> text/html. The spec says SHOULD NOT. I say "well, if the spec says
> SHOULD NOT, then you should not" and I add that I don't see a good
> reason to do it. The validator issues a warning when you do. That's
> the proper behaviour for a SHOULD NOT.
> So... where exactly is the problem?
> If you want to do something a spec says you SHOULD NOT do, because you
> think there's a good enough reason, it's your choice. But don't come
> complaining if a conformance checker catches you doing it, and issues
> a warning about it.
Actually, I beg to differ.  Neither the previous Recommendation of XHTML
1.1 [1] nor the current Editors Draft of XHTML 1.1 [2] says you SHOULD
NOT send XHTML 1.1 as text/html.  If you are referring to the
informative note that was written by Masayasu [3] some years ago...
that's not normative.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xhtml11-20010531
[2] http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Drafts/xhtml11
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types