Re: [css4-ui] Scrollbar tracking control

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 11:28:33 -0700
To: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
Cc: Sebastian Zartner <sebastianzartner@gmx.de>, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org, derhoermi@gmx.net
On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:
> 'overflow-attachment' is way better than 'scrollbar-attachment' (which sounds like it affects scrollbar rendering), but this doesn't feel like something that should be in CSS.

CSS or not, it should be declarative.  The CSS UI module has similar
types of controls.

> I also agree with David Baron; this is an area where both web sites and UAs can do smart/inventive things to improve the user experience, and a simple binary CSS switch is insufficient to capture all the kinds of things that could be done.

I don't think UAs can do inventive things - there's no solid
heuristics - though I'd be interested in being proved wrong.  Websites
might be able to do smart and inventive things, but the whole point of
this suggestion is to make the most common thing trivial, because it's
actually a little tricky to get right.  It doesn't stop them from
continuing to do even smarter things if they think they can pull it
off.

~TJ