CSS + Shadow DOM = <3 + more

From: Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 11:31:24 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
Dear www-style folk,

I bring you gifts! Or more precisely, more stuff to worry about.

While developing the Shadow DOM spec
(http://www.w3.org/TR/shadow-dom/), we found a couple of places where
we need CSS to be stretched just a tiny bit to fit some additional
requirements. And here they are:

1) Shadow DOM subtrees need to be able to address their host. So I
added a :host pseudo-class. There's a discussion on whether it should
be a @host

2) Similarly, shadow DOM subtrees need to be able to address host's
children, distributed to insertion points. So I added a "select"
reference combinator.

You can see both here:
http://www.w3.org/TR/shadow-dom/#selecting-nodes-distributed-to-insertion-points

I would love to get your feedback and constructive improvement ideas
on both of these.

Additionally, it would be freakishly awesome if there was a
specification for "display:contents" somewhere. This would allow me to
start attempts at reconciling the special rendering status of the
ShadowRoot objects.

:DG<