Re: [css4-ui] Scrollbar tracking control

On Jun 14, 2012, at 9:49 PM, Sebastian Zartner wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>> Datum: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 03:16:39 +0200
>> Von: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
>> An: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
>> CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
>> Betreff: Re: [css4-ui] Scrollbar tracking control

[…]

>> Scrollbars are an interface that represent and allow to control which
>> part of an element is rendered. The `-ms-scrollbar-*` properties would
>> control the actual scrollbar, but you generally would not refer to some
>> UI control in order to manipulate concepts they are an interface to.
>> You would not have a property `volume-slider: 100%` for `volume: 100%`.
>> And if this was to work with overflow:hidden, say because you have some
>> touch UI or because you don't actually want the user to scroll, then it
>> becomes confusing to set `scrollbar-*` properties, since there is none.
>> And which scrollbar anyway, considering there can be more than one.
>
> How about this:
>
> overflow-attachment-x: [normal | left | right] || <length> | inherit;
>
> overflow-attachment-y: [normal | top | bottom] || <length> | inherit;
>
> with <length> specifying the trap distance to the edge.

That is on the right track, but the name still feels long. How about 'scroll-top' and 'scroll-left' as the property names? Then if you use JavaScript's scrollTop to get the scroll position, for instance, or jQuery's scrollTop to get or set the scroll position, then it would refer to how far it was scrolled vertically from the edge specified in this CSS property. And it could be writing mode dependent, if we also had those keywords (er, begin/stop and head/foot? Or whatever it is this week?).