Re: [css4-color] Make the r/g/b components be <number> rather than <integer>?

From: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 20:24:21 +0200
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
sRGB is a simplistic profile. It's gamma correction + a simple translate
function. Clamping to [0..1] is part of the definition (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRGB)
I can see how this would make it tempting to just remove the clamp so you
can get to XYZ that is outside of the regular gamut.

The problem with this is:
a. This is breaking the profile math.  Are all out of gamut colors possible
or only a subsection?
b. Colors with out of gamut colors will display different than they print
c. What if we want to improve color on the web later on? sRGB used to make
sense but current displays are capable of a wider gamut (ie Super OLED)
which currently goes unused (or abused to show colors that are too
vibrant). New displays will probably have table based profiles where
negative input make no sense.

I think point c is most important.

Rik