Re: [css4-ui] Scrollbar tracking control

From: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 11:18:32 -0700
Cc: Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org, jackalmage@gmail.com, derhoermi@gmx.net
To: Sebastian Zartner <sebastianzartner@gmx.de>
On Jun 15, 2012, at 1:30 AM, Sebastian Zartner wrote:

>> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 9:49 PM, Sebastian Zartner
>> <sebastianzartner@gmx.de>wrote:

>>> How about this:
>>>
>>> overflow-attachment-x: [normal | left | right] || <length> | inherit;
>>>
>>> overflow-attachment-y: [normal | top | bottom] || <length> | inherit;
>>>
>>> with <length> specifying the trap distance to the edge.
>>>

>> This looks really good to me. Why would you want inherit though?
>>
>> - E
>
> If you have a scrolling element inside another scrolling panel you might want to inherit the scrolling behavior, so you see e.g. the bottom-most element inside of it. Though I'm not sure if that's a common use case.
>
> Anyway, I'd also suggest a shorthand for the syntax above:
>
> overflow-attachment: [normal | top | bottom] || [normal | left | right] || <length>{1,2} | inherit

'overflow-attachment' is way better than 'scrollbar-attachment' (which sounds like it affects scrollbar rendering), but this doesn't feel like something that should be in CSS.

I also agree with David Baron; this is an area where both web sites and UAs can do smart/inventive things to improve the user experience, and a simple binary CSS switch is insufficient to capture all the kinds of things that could be done.

Simon