Re: [css3-background] border-radius color transitions using gradients recommended but undefined

On 02/24/2010 04:17 PM, Sylvain Galineau wrote:

>> Since you've changed your position, let's go back to the question before the WG 3 weeks ago.
>>
>>      fantasai: we have 5 options
>>      1. Require the sharp transition
>>      2. Drop recommendation for gradient, leave transition undefined
>>      3. Recommend gradient, define color stops
>>      4. Give precise mathematical definition for a gradient that will give
>>         pixel-perfect copies across implementations
>>      5. Drop border-radius
>
> #5 is unacceptable and never was an option.

Just wanted to be complete. :)

> #1 never was either.

(This was never clear to me, either on the mailing list or on the telecon.)

> At this stage of CR,
> given the relative lack of importance of the use-case compared to everything else in the
> spec and the lack of support in competing implementations that have supported border-radius
> for a while, I prefer #2. If this were a property, it'd simply be at risk. Should we
> support it - a big if at this stage - it would be accessed through -ms-border-radius.

THANK YOU!!!!

I can work with that.

Given Proposal 1 as:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Feb/0186.html

Proposal 2 is:

   In the paragraph
     # It is not defined what these transitions look like, but a gradient is recommended
     # for color transitions that don't involve dotted or dashed borders.
   replace 'recommended' with 'suggested'.
     | It is not defined what these transitions look like, but a gradient is suggested
     | for color transitions that don't involve dotted or dashed borders.

and Proposal 3 is
   In the paragraph
     # It is not defined what these transitions look like, but a gradient is recommended
     # for color transitions that don't involve dotted or dashed borders.
   replace the comma with a period and remove the rest of the sentence, i.e.
     | It is not defined what these transitions look like.

Let me know if either 2 or 3 is satisfactory, and if so, we can take this to the WG
for a formal decision. (If not, please explain what the remaining problems are.)

Thanks~

~fantasai