Re: vendor prefix properties diverging from official properties

Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:

> >Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:
> >> 2) For the nth time, no "additional feature" has been required
> >> here, at least by me. If you want to use your browser's corner
> >> gradient support you'd stick to -<vendor>-border-radius, which is
> >> all that exists today.
>
> >I think divergence in behavior between -<vendor>-<property> and the
> >unprefixed <property> is a terrible idea.
[...]
> Given that this recommendation, as currently specified, may result in
> different renderings or no support for this behavior at all on some
> platforms, we will have divergences between implementations of the
> prefixed property. I'm not sure why that's a better alternative than
> using the prefixed version for its intended experimental purpose.

Web authors don't think of the prefixed version of a property as a
different thing from its unprefixed official version, see.

Divergence among implementations for one equivalence class of property
names is normal and expected, although resented, by Web authors.
Divergence *within one implementation* between a property and its
vendor-prefixed variant is unprecedented to the best of my knowledge,
except possibly for backward compatibility.

zw