RE: [css3-background] box-shadow spread radius and rounded corners

From: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 01:31:53 +0000
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Alex Meiburg <timeroot.alex@gmail.com>, "Sylvain Galineau" <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
> No, I'd rather do a single correct and consistent thing.
> My problem right now is that the specced behavior doesn't
> seem consistent.  border-radius:0 and border-radius:.01px
> create completely different shadows when you use spread.
> I think we should commit to doing either pure scaling or
> pure spreading, not the current "if border-radius is 0,
> scale, else spread".

Completely agree, Tab.

I was discussing earlier with Sylvain how this current "sharp is special case" design is an undesirable discontinuity.

IMO, it's pretty much guaranteed that people can and will find out that browser A treats "0.0000001" as zero and browser B treats "0.00000000000000000000000001" as zero and blog-cument it as such.

The next step is people authoring content to intentionally get different, non-interoperable renderings across the various browsers.

Yuck.

Brad, I'd love to see a definition of spread/choke that (a) satisfies the rendering you'd like and (b) doesn't have the discontinuity at zero.