Re: [css3-background] box-shadow spread radius and rounded corners

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 10:18:51 -0700
Cc: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Alex Meiburg <timeroot.alex@gmail.com>, "Sylvain Galineau" <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>

On Apr 28, 2010, at 6:31 PM, Brian Manthos wrote:

> I was discussing earlier with Sylvain how this current "sharp is special case" design is an undesirable discontinuity.

I feel that for the most part it is desirable, and that is why vector drawing programs allow you to have sharp joins on path strokes.

> Brad, I'd love to see a definition of spread/choke that (a) satisfies the rendering you'd like and (b) doesn't have the discontinuity at zero.

Think of the spread thickness as equivalent to an extra border around the pre-blur shadow box, which is the same color as the shadow, and where 'border-radius' is for the inner edge of the border instead the outer edge.