Re: [css3-background] box-shadow spread radius and rounded corners

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 17:13:33 -0700
To: Alex Meiburg <timeroot.alex@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Alex Meiburg <timeroot.alex@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would it be too much trouble to just leave it up to the author? There are
> two ways it could be done, quite simply: include one keyword in box-shadow,
> "round"|"straight"|"scale". The other would be having two lengths (replacing
> the one spread length) - the first indicating the length to increase sides
> by, the second length indicating how much to increase corner radius by.
>
> Either would just add one piece to the property, a pretty small hike in
> complexity to save confusion and a lot of twiddling.

I think that the complexity of the full box-shadow is already
ridiculous - it's difficult to remember what 4 undistinguished lengths
mean!  Adding more to the property is likely too much.

No, I'd rather do a single correct and consistent thing.  My problem
right now is that the specced behavior doesn't seem consistent.
border-radius:0 and border-radius:.01px create completely different
shadows when you use spread.  I think we should commit to doing either
pure scaling or pure spreading, not the current "if border-radius is
0, scale, else spread".

I held a different opinion in earlier discussions, but I've changed my
mind on the matter.  ^_^  I would like to keep sharp corners sharp,
but I value consistency more than I value sharpness-maintaining, so if
spreading really is the better behavior, I'd like it to spread at all
times.