Re: XBL in CSS

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 05:35:58 +0000 (UTC)
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, Matthew Raymond <mattraymond@earthlink.net>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, www-style@w3.org, dev-tech-xbl@mozilla.org

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> | The problem is that a cell *is not a cell yet* when doing selector
> | matching. Short of doing selector matching twice (once for one set of
> | properties, and then again for another set, with a required layout
> | pass in between the two steps) you simply cannot have selectors that
> | depend on properties. And as I explained a few days ago, doing the
> | two-pass selector matching simply isn't an option, as it would be a
> | performance nightmare.
>
> Why doesn't this same argument apply to 'binding' and :bound-element?

Because the bound element is bound asynchronously. It isn't the 'binding'
property that makes the element be a bound element, it's the actual
binding. It's much more like the ":hover { display: none; }" case that I
mentioned, where the fact that the element no longer matches :hover is a
side-effect, not a direct effect, of the 'display' property.