Re: XBL in CSS

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 15:16:56 +1000
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, Matthew Raymond <mattraymond@earthlink.net>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, www-style@w3.org, dev-tech-xbl@mozilla.org

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, fantasai wrote:
>> Mm, does the spec address these?
>>
>> :bound-element { binding: none; }
>
> Same as:
>
> :hover { display: none; }

Doesn't :bound-element suffer from the same problem as the oft requested
:column pseudo-classed, based on the the display: table-*; properties?
You said it yourself in July last year:

| The problem is that a cell *is not a cell yet* when doing selector
| matching. Short of doing selector matching twice (once for one set of
| properties, and then again for another set, with a required layout
| pass in between the two steps) you simply cannot have selectors that
| depend on properties. And as I explained a few days ago, doing the
| two-pass selector matching simply isn't an option, as it would be a
| performance nightmare.

Why doesn't this same argument apply to 'binding' and :bound-element?

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2005Jul/0122

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/