Re: Web Fonts

From: Jan Brasna <discuss@alphanumeric.cz>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 18:00:36 +0200
CC: www-style@w3.org

> Wouldn't it be sufficient to simply support the addition of URIs to
> font-family?

It might be enough. I see it rather complicated as well. If all the
variable setting could be achieved with present settings from Fonts
module, it could work.

> the URI could be to a zip file that contained all the variants of a font

Interesting idea. Is there a similar application of distributing
multiple files in one zipped? (Unlikely only one file, gzipped...)

If one particular format would be enough (thus, widely supported in most
of the UAs), its format could be determined by MIME type of that only
URI provided.

What comes to my mind is licensing. I haven't found anything about this
in the specs - does that mean that the font file has to have some kind
of a free licensing scheme to be effectively put online for usage like this?

--
Jan Brasna :: www.alphanumeric.cz | www.janbrasna.com | www.wdnews.net