Re: XBL in CSS

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, fantasai wrote:

> Well, either both things should get "namespaced" nor neither of them
> should.

Ok.

> Mm, does the spec address these?
>
>   :bound-element { binding: none; }

Same as:

    :hover { display: none; }

>   foo { binding: something-with-value-pseudo; }
>   ::value { binding: something-else; }

Same as:

    foo { binding: something-with-foo; }

...in the something-with-foo binding's stylesheet.

>   ::value { binding: something-with-value-pseudo; }

Same again.

> # each time a binding is applied it can change the computed values of
> # properties of elements that are descendants of the bound element
>
> By "properties" do you mean just "CSS properties", or does that include
> the 'binding' property as well?

'binding' is a CSS property (assuming that the community has no
objections).

> I'm not convinced that XBL binding statements should be mixed
> indiscriminately with the rest of CSS.

People seem in two minds about this; Daniel, for example, posted on this
thread with a very passionate plea to indeed mix them.

> The XBL binding process happens before CSS styling takes effect.

This is a misunderstanding.

> I don't mind putting these bindings in a text/css file, but I would like
> to see them explicitly separated out from the rest of the CSS rules,
> perhaps in an @rule that is always placed before any regular CSS rules.

That seems overly complex for no good reason. (Where I don't consider
theoretical purity "good".)

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Matthew Raymond wrote:

> Thought:
>
> | ::bound-element(xbl2) { /* For XBL 2.0. */ }
> | ::bound-element(-moz-xbl) { /* For Mozilla XBL 1.0. */ }
> | ::bound-element(-ms-htc) { /* For Microsoft HTML Components. */ }
> | ::bound-element() { /* For ANY binding language. */ }
>
> ...As in "::bound-element(binding-language)" to indicate which one
> you're binding to, with the default being any language if no value is
> specified.

What's the use case?

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Matthew Raymond wrote:

> Good point. For the moment, I can't think of a use case, except to
> correct rendering problems for proprietary binding language
> implementations, which seems kinda weak to me.

So, a general guideline when coming up with stuff... first come up with a
use case (a "problem"), then try to invent something (find a "solution").

It tends to make better specs. :-)