rdf:parseType="daml:collection"

From: Ashley Yakeley <ashley@semantic.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 21:04:31 -0700
To: "RDF Interest Group" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

The RDF parser I wrote doesn't recognise
'rdf:parseType="daml:collection"' in this, found in
<http://www.daml.org/2001/03/daml+oil>:

<Class rdf:ID="Thing">
  <rdfs:label>Thing</rdfs:label>
  <rdfs:comment>
    The most general (object) class in DAML.
    This is equal to the union of any class and its complement.
  </rdfs:comment>
  <unionOf rdf:parseType="daml:collection">
    <rdfs:Class rdf:about="#Nothing"/>
    <rdfs:Class>
      <complementOf rdf:resource="#Nothing"/>
    </rdfs:Class>
  </unionOf>
</Class>

[where xmlns:daml="http://www.daml.org/2001/03/daml+oil#"]

Without further information, my parser must interpret the contents as
plain XML elements as per "Literal". W3's validator, on the other hand,
seems to know about it and gave the contents a "first/rest" linked-list
type structure.

So how many other parseTypes are there not specified in the RDF standard,
and where can I find specifications for them?

<http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-rdf-syntax-19990222/> sec. 6 says this:

     "Other values of parseType are reserved for future
     specification by RDF."

...which tends to suggest that nothing other than RDF standards will
declare new parseTypes...

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA