QNames for Better Visuals?

From: <tony_hammond@harcourt.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 13:18:28 +0000
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

Hi:

I wondered what people think of using QNames for properties in (especially)
SVG graphics and tucking away the URIs into XLinks. See:

     http://www2.elsevier.co.uk/~tony/cookbook/

Resource URIs are also truncated (but linked), as are literals. This allows
for more detail to be compressed into a single screen shot. As an example
the "Extended Article" SVG is much easier to read than if it had been
decorated with full-blown URIs. Would be neat if some of the other
GraphViz-based tools (Validator, IsaViz, etc) supported an option to render
in this more compressed form. Seems to me that the property URIs are not of
primary interest to the *human* reader but instead deflect attention from
the main subject matter.

Tony

ps/
In case you need it:

Get the Adobe Plugin <http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/> to view the
SVG.
To drag image: ALT + <left-mouse-button> and use the cursor to position.
To zoom either click on the <right-mouse-button>, or press CTRL to zoom in,
CTRL-SHIFT to zoom out.