3-Letter Language Code

From: Shailendra Musale <shailendra.musale@f-secure.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 09:58:48 +0900
To: www-international@w3.org
Hello all,

We name the localized (RC) files as "filename.xxx",
where xxx is 3-letter language code.

For example, a Japanese localized file will have a name as "filename.jpn"

For these 3-letter codes, we are currently using
the country-code list available on following site:

We can't use language codes provided at
because they are 2-letter codes.

My questions regarding this are as follows:

1) Is there any International-Standard
     List of 3-letter language codes - codes which
     can be used for all popular operating systems?

2) If we choose to use Microsoft-provided (or Windows-specific)
     3-letter language codes and later if we come-up with UNIX-version
     of the software, then for UNIX platform, we have to modify some of the
     language codes, right? will there be any problems due to
     conflicts in language-codes?

3) Which codes should we use for Simplified Chinese
     and Traditional Chinese?
     Is it CHS and CHT respectively?
     or CHN and TWN respectively?

Please advise.