Re: 3-Letter Language Code

From: Karl Ove Hufthammer <huftis@bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 11:54:02 +0100
To: <www-international@w3.org>, "Shailendra Musale \(by way of \"Martin J. Duerst\" <duerst@w3.org>\)" <shailendra.musale@f-secure.com>
----- Original Message -----
From: "Shailendra Musale (by way of "Martin J. Duerst" <duerst@w3.org>)"
<shailendra.musale@f-secure.com>
To: <www-international@w3.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 23, 2000 1:58 AM
Subject: 3-Letter Language Code

> 1) Is there any International-Standard
>      List of 3-letter language codes - codes which
>      can be used for all popular operating systems?

Yes, ISO 639-2, which you can find at <URL:
http://lcweb.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/ >.

> 2) If we choose to use Microsoft-provided (or Windows-specific)
>      3-letter language codes and later if we come-up with UNIX-version
>      of the software, then for UNIX platform, we have to modify some of the
> existing
>      language codes, right? will there be any problems due to
>      conflicts in language-codes?

I think the language codes Microsoft uses are ISO 639-2, so this is not a
problem. What may be a problem is that other platforms use ISO 639-1,
*two-letter* languages codes (I thought Windows used this too).

> 3) Which codes should we use for Simplified Chinese
>      and Traditional Chinese?
>      Is it CHS and CHT respectively?
>      or CHN and TWN respectively?

I think you should use 'chi' for both (though I'm not 100% sure). Simplified and
Traditional Chinese are the same *language*.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer