RE: 3-Letter Language Code

Hi Saleindra,

I would advise you to:

1) NOT use country identifiers in the filename extensions. You might run
into filename extension conflicts when you port to different platforms, plus
all translation vendors (and translation memory tools for that matter) will
expect RC files to be named with the *.rc extension, as this very common
resource file type is usually processed natively. Also, changing the
extension prevents persons handling the file from meaningful interpretation
of the nature and format of the file.

2) Introduce the notion of LOCALE into your file naming convention. The
locale identifier is a widely accepted standard in software development and
i18n for denoting specific region + language combinations. The format for
locales is a lowercase two-letter country code (use ISO 639-1 for this),
followed by and underscore '_' and an uppercase two letter language code
(use ISO 3166-1). For your *.RC files, your filename would look something
like  'xxxx_fr_FR.rc' for French in France, 'xxxx_fr_CA.rc' for French in
Canada. French is a good example written and spoken French has some
seriously different rules for spelling, punctuation and more, depending
whether you are in France or Canada. There are many more examples (such as
'en_US' for US English versus 'en_UK' for UK English), and would also neatly
solve your Chinese naming issue.

Introducing the notion of locale throughout your code and file structure
eliminates all ambiguity, and makes it immediately compatible with
industry-wide practice. Please feel free to give me a call if you have
further questions.

Kind regards,

Robert VanRaamsdonk
Global Engagement Consultant