Re: Arabic UNicode in XML

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 15:44:25 +0100
To: Chris Pratley <chrispr@microsoft.com>
CC: Saeed Darya <saeed.darya@techno-soft.com>, Matthias Wassermann <m.wassermann@mai-kg.de>, www-international@w3.org

Chris Pratley wrote:

> When I access it using IE 5.5, it is marked as UTF-8, and the Arabic text is
> real text, although ironically despite the utf-8 encoding it uses NCRs for
> the Arabic:
> &#1576;&#1607; &#1606;&#1592;&#1585;

How bizarre. Is the file served to Win IE 5.x well formed?

> Perhaps the server serves up images if it does not detect IE5.x as the
> browser?

Yes, that would explain it. Its rather short-sighted, of course, since the
number of different clients on all the growing number of web-enabled
platforms is increasing. I was trying those pages with Netscape 6, Opera
5beta1, ICE browser 5, and Ichitaro Ark.

--
Chris