Re: Arabisation and character sets

From: Gary Adams - JavaSoft East <Gary.Adams@East.Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 10:50:13 -0500 (EST)
To: rein@exol.it, yergeau@alis.com
Cc: www-international@w3.org
> >It seems hilarious to me that we must use a proprietary Microsoft standard
> >in order to have Netscape render correctly.
>
> Hilarious yes, but less so if one considers that you are (apparently)
> testing on a Microsoft-proprietary platform.  Not that you have so many
> other options for Arabic...

Not that there are any JDK 1.2 browsers deployed yet, but there is some effort
to get cross platform internationalization support into the base Java
application environment.

 http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/guide/2d/spec/j2d-fonts.fm1.html#62258
 http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/guide/intl/spec.html