Re: Arabisation and character sets

It is not clear to me from the specs whether JDK 1.2 will offer a bidi
application sufficient control over the base direction. Does each visible
object that may contain text have such an attribute? Can the user override
it manually? It seems to me not to be the case.

Jony

At 10:50 31/03/98 -0500, Gary Adams - JavaSoft East wrote:
>> >It seems hilarious to me that we must use a proprietary Microsoft standard
>> >in order to have Netscape render correctly.
>>
>> Hilarious yes, but less so if one considers that you are (apparently)
>> testing on a Microsoft-proprietary platform.  Not that you have so many
>> other options for Arabic...
>>

>Not that there are any JDK 1.2 browsers deployed yet, but there is some
effort
>to get cross platform internationalization support into the base Java
>application environment.

http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/guide/2d/spec/j2d-fonts.fm1.html#6
2258