Re: Arabisation and character sets

From: Khaled Zarkah <kz@ditnet.co.ae>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 19:37:51 +0400
To: www-international@w3.org
Hello,

We published a review in PC Magazine, Arabic Edition, May 1997 issue, for
MS Arabic IE 3.02, Sindbad Netscpae 3.0, and Alis Tango Browser 3.0.

Another review for MS Arabic IE 4.0 will be published in 'Internet Al-Aalam
Al-Arabi' in May 1998 issue.

>   - ALis Tango and MS IE 4.0 (on Arabic Enabled Windows) render
>     iso-8859-6 correctly

That's right, and Tango renders 8859-6 correctly, even on Latin versions of
Windows 95.

>   - Netscape on an Arabic Windows and Netscape with Shakr
>     plug-in on "normal" Windows do not render correctly.

Wrong. The Sindbad add-on works fine, even on Latin Windows 95, but
Navigator alone with Arabic Windows 95 can not render 8859-6 correctly.

>   - using the proprietary Microsoft standard Windows 1256 all
>     browsers render correctly.

Right.

Khaled Zarkah
Technical Editor
DIT (PC Magazine, Arabic Edition & Internet Al-Aalam Al-Arabi)
Phone: +9714-240700
Fax:   +9714-240750
P.O.Box 60934
Dubai