Arabisation and character sets

From: Reinier van Kleij <rein@exol.it>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 11:23:30 +0200
To: www-international@w3.org
LS,

I wanted to share some experience on creating HTML in Arabic. We are
converting the GIP site (www.gip.int) into Arabic
(www.gip.int/ar/noframes.htm: a rough machine translation!). We are using
iso-8859-6 character set and Mac with Arabic Language Kit for editing.

I have asked some feedback from colleagues in Egypt:

   - ALis Tango and MS IE 4.0 (on Arabic Enabled Windows) render
     iso-8859-6 correctly
   - Netscape on an Arabic Windows and Netscape with Shakr
     plug-in on "normal" Windows do not render correctly.
   - using the proprietary Microsoft standard Windows 1256 all
     browsers render correctly.

Can anybody confirm these findings?

It seems hilarious to me that we must use a proprietary Microsoft standard
in order to have Netscape render correctly.

Reinier van Kleij

+---------------------------------+
| Dr. Ir. Reinier van Kleij       |
| Project Manager                 |